Irwin Army Community Hospital
Irwin Army Community Hospital is a 47-bed hospital with 45 percent greater space. It was designed with the latest medical engineering technology to deliver the best care to our Big Red One Soldiers and mission partners, their families and our retirees.
The hospital was smartly built to accommodate an increase in patient capacity or future growth on Fort Riley.
As of summer 2016, the hospital serves 49,426 eligible beneficiaries. On a typical day, it sees 1,594 clinical patients, fills 1,805 prescriptions, runs 1,587 laboratory procedures, performs 11 surgical cases, and delivers three babies.
The new hospital incorporates Evidence-Based Design which influences modern healthcare facility design to promote patient healing and staff well being.
The L-shape design separates the inpatient care from the outpatient care clinics. The staff use their own hallways and elevators outside of the “L.” This frees up space for patients and visitors.
The layout provides the shortest reasonable path from check-in to exam. It also eases the transition from one department to another should a patient require additional care.
All reception areas in the outpatient side are in the atrium, giving a greater sense of openness. The atrium, or “glass wall,” lets in natural light and provides a passive solar heat in the cooler months while reducing it in hotter seasons.
Irwin Army Community Hospital celebrates the 100th anniversary of the 1st Infantry Division with the opening of the new hospital in 2016.
Fort Riley was officially established in 1853 by War Department General Order No. 17, dated June 27, 1853 proclaiming Fort Riley as a permanent Post. The Army appropriated $65,000 for the erection of temporary buildings at the new post. In 1854 Fort Riley had its first hospital erected on a site near the present day Cavalry Museum and Patton Hall. This hospital boasted a staff of one surgeon, one hospital steward, three male soldier attendants, a soldier cook, and hospital matron.
First Permanent Hospital
Construction of the first permanent hospital at Fort Riley was completed in 1855, slightly southwest of the temporary hospital built in 1854 and was constructed out of native limestone. In 1890 a clock tower was added to the building along with other extensive renovations. Later, the building was remodeled and is now the Post / Cavalry Museum.
Second Permanent Hospital
In February 1888, a board of officers was appointed to find a suitable site for a new hospital due to an increase in the garrison population. A location was selected north of the main post and in April 1888, a contract was set to begin construction. The north wing of the hospital was completed in 1888. In 1906 a three story limestone wing was added to the south side of the Post Hospital. These buildings served as the Post main medical facility until 1957.
Cantonment Hospital WW II
With the prospect of the second World War an ominous probability, a Cantonment Hospital, later called the Fort Riley Station Hospital, was built on Camp Whitside, located at the present site of the new Irwin Army Community Hospital and Warrior Transition Battalion.
Work was started on December 8, 1940 and the hospital began receiving patients in March 1941. Construction of the Station Hospital was completed in 1942 and consisted of 84 cantonment-type buildings, occupying 80 acres of Camp Whitside. The hospital had thirty eight wards and a 1000 bed capacity. The old hospital was designated a surgical annex and was used as a medical facility until 1957 when it was converted into the current Post headquarters.
Construction of the legacy post hospital began on July 19, 1955. Over 43 million pounds of concrete were poured to erect the 250 bed facility at a cost of $6 million. At the time of it’s dedication Irwin Army Community Hospital boasted the latest medical technology of the day.
The hospital was dedicated on February 7, 1958 and named Irwin Army Hospital in honor of Brigadier General Bernard John Dowling Irwin "The Fighting Doctor" who won the Congressional Medal of Honor for distinguished gallantry in action during an engagement with the Chiricahua Indians near Apache Pass Arizona in February 1861. In August 1975 construction began on an outpatient clinic wing and was completed in June 1978 at a cost of $21 million.
The new Irwin Army Community Hospital, located on the site of the Fort Riley Station Hospital opened its doors to the Fort Riley community in October 2016.
650 Huebner Road, Fort Riley, Kansas, 66442